Friday, October 2, 2009

Book Study - Journal Entry #3

Lessons in Heartbreak

by Cathy Kelly


I don't know if you would have noticed or not but when it comes to fashion, there are usually models involved. These models tend to be insanely beautiful, tall and unnaturally skinny. Izzie(one of the main characters) works at a modelling agency and she notices. She watches as the starve themselves, convincing themselves all the need is water and cigarettes. Throughout some of the chapters it tells of how many woman try to look like models even though it is unhealthy and like I said unnatural. She wishes there were real woman to model clothing, as I recall she said real goddesses not boy-like teenagers. One of my many uncles works in fashion and he has explained that models are usually super skinny because they are best for showcasing the clothes. A model is not meant to outdo the clothing. A show is about looking at clothes not models. It just do happens majority of the clothes look best on skinny,tall and shapeless girls.(No offence intended to anyone.)

I feel that because the models look like this, woman and young girls feel pressure to look like this also. We should be comfortable in our own skin. We should know that true beauty doesn't mean you have to starve yourself. Some of us do, but not enough. How many stories do you hear of young girls and woman getting eating disorders because their idol is three sizes smaller than they are? What kind of idol would think that people should eat less just to look more like them? Not a very nice one, that's for sure.

I think woman, girls, young ladies (and the guys too) should be comfortable with their size. They may not like certain parts to their body but they'd know it's their unique body shape that makes them a real beauty.

For example: I am a fourteen year-old-girl who is 5 feet 4" and I weigh 117Ilbs. I am physically fit and sometimes I don't like my "ballet" feet or my dagger-like elbows but I know I am perfect the way I am.

So how about you?

...

Are you comfortable in your skin?

Do you think there should be more 'real' woman in the fashion industry?

Lastly, I challenge you to comment, add your body shape and your opinion...

Remember we are all beautiful, no matter what!


No comments:

Post a Comment