Lessons in Heartbreak
by Cathy Kelly
I feel the need to write about one of the main characters, Anneliese. In the beginning of the story she appears very happy and content with how her life is going. However when she finds out her husband was/is cheating on her with her best friend things start going down hill. She explains how she'd suffered from depression in the past. Always feeling horrible. Slowly she falls back into depression. She no longer cares what the neighbours think of her and is afraid of running into Edward(her husband) and Nellie(her ex-best friend). One time when she is going out for tea with Jodi(the writer) she does run into Nellie. In the middle of the restaurant she blows up at Nellie. It was pretty intense. After this though things get even worse.
A whale has been caught in the rocky water below and no matter how much people try to help she will die. Anneliese begins to understand and relate with her. She finds herself wanting to join the whale. She walks to the beach, into the water and keeps walking. She knows what she is doing to herself but she almost likes what has been "decided" for her. She is saved by a village man though and her brain kicks in. She realized she didn't want to die after all. She is admitted to a hospital, where she stays for a little while.
Just think, one day she was on top of the world and then the next trying to end her life. It's a sad thing really. Although it is a lot more common than we think. I know several people(who will remain anonymous) who have suffered from depression in the past or still are dealing with it now. It is a horrible thing. Sure at some point in every ones life they will feel depressed but to have to deal with it your whole life... it's just something else. I know people end there own lives every day, maybe it was the only way to be free of the pain. Though this may sound horrible and twisted, maybe they are right. Maybe that is the only way they will be happy. Not saying that I think everyone should end their lives to be happy, I'm just saying if that is the ONLY way, I see no problem. It would probably cause others great pain but shouldn't they be happy you are in a better place?
I guess I really don't know what to think of the whole thing...
Friday, October 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment