Sunday, October 31, 2010

Journal Entry - #2

I recently finish Lord of the Flies. I find myself disappointed with the ending. I though something GREAT would happen. Such as, the big'uns kill Ralph or another plane crash. Something exciting! I understand how it would be great for them to get saved, considering that is all Ralph wanted. However, that ending is so predictable. I wanted something to happen and make me get more into the book. That didn't happen. Having read the whole book I think that William Golding writes beautifully but Lord of the Flies isn't a book I would read again.

To represent Lord of the Flies, I believe a contemporary painting would show a lot. These paintings consist and show raw emotion, which is perfect for this book. There would be a definite line down the middle to represent when good goes bad or from order to chaos. Around the line would be large, angry brush stokes. Red to represent passion, gray to show the discrete change of order, random yellow blotches to blend into the red(just to make it more interesting) and black and white to show you are either chaos or order. It would be on a huge canvas. It shouldn't look beautiful it should look strong and majestic. When you looked at it, you would be able to feel passion and anger and the chaos. I think every person who sees it might feel or see something different. There will be the main themes, but then there will be the little ones. For example, some might see pain, ambition, strength, courage or madness. Others see love, deception, dissolution and humanity. The painting would take a long time to finish and only a great artist would create it.

As I stated in my earlier journal and this one, I simply do not like this book. I do understand why we have to read it because it is a great piece of literature. However, that doesn't mean I have to like it. I think that if William Golding had been a painter, this story could have been a grand painting. I would have like to have to study it much more than reading the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment