Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Journal Entry - #1

I find Lord of the Flies to be an okay book so far. Though I think it is wonderfully written, I don't really like the plot at all. I find it kind of boring. Sure it's intriguing because you want to know if the boys are going to turn into savages or if things will run smoothly as Piggy and Ralph hope. You think that they may get rescued sometimes, like when Ralph, Piggy, Maurice, Simon and the others saw the ship on the horizon. Then when you find out that the hunters(Jack and his choir boys) let the fire burn out so they could catch a pig, you think that they will never get rescued. So I think that the book makes me think but I don't really want to continue to read it.

I think I can relate to The Lord of the Flies in a few ways. Firstly, I know what it feels like to not have parents around and just want to do whatever you want. For example, when I was eleven or twelve my parents let me stay home alone for the first time ever! I remember thinking that no one would yell at me if I walked around in my pyjamas or ate ice cream all day. I was in charge and that idea made the day awesome. Possibly one of my most memorable memories. Also, I think all adolescents go berserk the moment they know they are in control. When many boys are alone on an island eventually fights will break out, as it did between Ralph and Jack. I was recently babysitting my little brother(5) and sister(7). We were going to play the board game Sorry! , so while I went to get a snack I told the two to figure out how to set it up. Almost as soon as I was upstairs they started fighting about who should get to shuffle the cards, or set out the pieces. I notice that in the book Ralph and Jack are almost competing with each other to earn more respect from the boys. They both wanted to get to be the chief and get the "cool" jobs and responsibilities.

As I stated earlier this isnt't my favourite book. I usually like a mix of authors, genres and character but this book wsan't as appealing to me. Of all the characters Simon was my favourite, however nothing was really said about him. He's a secondary character. Anyway, I enjoy authors such as John Boyne, Nicholas Sparks, James Patterson and Ellen Hopkins. Yet William Goldings book didn't make me want to read further. I thought it may be better written then some of my favourite books, but I didn't enjoy the actual story. I found it boring. I am looking forward to watching the movie because usually I think movies make the book look either better or worse. In this case I am hoping it will make the book seem more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment