Sunday, November 8, 2009

Take Your Kid to Work Day

My day went fairly well. I got a couple hot chocolates and the odd cookie, muffin or end chocolate bar, so really, a success. Really though, I did have tons of fun. I went to my dad's work. He's a grade six teacher at Rolph Street Public School in Tillsonburg. I got to help with math, than I taught the art lesson and enjoyed lunch in the teachers lounge(felt really cool because normally students are prohibited from going into the lounge!). After lunch, the class did a scientific experiment relating to flight. Which was actually really cool. One of the groups constructed an airplane that flew over 21 metres, whereas some models were only travelling centimetres! Next, the class had french. Which happens to be my dad's prep, so I went and helped in the kindergarten class. At the end of the day, I returned to my dad's class to watch the auction. In my dad's class, the students will earn "dollars" for doing odd jobs, extra work etc. and at the beginning of each month there is an auction for random things. Such as, choosing what to do for gym, gift cards for scholastic, choosing your seating group and free periods. School was out at 3:25pm, when we immediately left to go to Princess Anne Public School(in Ingersoll) to coach Rolph Street's volleyball team.(We won all three of the games!) I think this program is a really good idea. Even though I may not become a teacher, this wasn't a waste of time. I still would get to learn what exactly my dad has to do every week, to earn the money we use to live. I think all students should be offered this chance to watch the "experts". It's tons of fun and you get to "skip" school for a day. And well, who wouldn't want that?

2 comments: