Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Book Thief - Friendship Can Become More, But Not For Both People...

Friends.
Friends are something we are lucky to get in life. We should love them and treat them with the highest respect. They make us happy, sad, angry and confused. They make us laugh and cry. Sometimes at the same time. Some make us want to be better. Other times we give them enough to want to live.



Sometimes though, friendship can bring love. Sometimes for both people, other times only one. I

In The Book Thief, Liesel's first friend is Rudi Steiner. Her next door neighbour on Himmel St. Both come from poor families. Both just trying to figure out how to survive. They do a lot together. From playing soccer in the streets to stealing from monks. They have fun together and help each other through some difficult times. However, it soon becomes clear that Rudi has developed different kind of feelings for Liesel. He says things that give away his true feeling and often asks for a kiss whenever he is down or has accomplished something "amazing". Liesel does not feel the same way. She refuses him every time. Rudi doesn't give up though, Never losing hope that one day Liesel will accept. It's kind of a wierd situation. I have never had a friend who liked me(and I didn't), who asked for kisses. It'd be sad because I'd feel like I was letting my friend down. That makes me wonder how Liesel was feeling through this book. I think that maybe she does love Rudi. She just didn't know it when the time was right.

If only she had known, when that timing was right...

No comments:

Post a Comment