Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Lunch Date

Today in English we watched a short film called "The Lunch Date". It was based on people being to quick to judge based on how a person is dressed or their race and not to jump to conclusions.

A quick summary is that a rich, snotty, white woman misses her train and goes to the train station cafeteria to eat a salad. Shew leaves her bags and salad on the table while trying to find a fork. When she goes back to where she had been sitting a kind, black man is eating a salad. She gets aggressive but the man doesn't give up the salad. They end up sharing. Then the man brings them coffee. The woman leaves but then hurries back because she left her shopping bags behind. When she returns the man and bags are gone but when she gets to the booth beside where she sat with the man she finds her bags and untouched salad. She laughs and goes on with her day.

She had thought the man was a homeless man stealing her food just based on how he looked, black, scruffy and not very well dressed. So she jumped to conclusions. At the end she does laugh though. Yet even though she was mistaken she appeared to make the man just by eating and sharing a cup of tea with him. The whole time she thinks he's a bum and he think she's just a nice lady in need of company.

I really enjoyed this short film. It was a really good story with a great ending. I will admit that I thought the man stole her salad, I was too quick to judge. In that situation I would probably think to myself "That man is taking my salad, what a mean man." Although I probably wouldn't confront him. If someone wanted my food enough to steal it, they can have. Yet he didn't steal it, it was his and he still shared it with the woman. It could have been his first meal in days or his last for awhile. He was that kind. I wish more people were that kind and in a perfect world, that we weren't so quick to judge.

To watch go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epuTZigxUY8

No comments:

Post a Comment